Please visit our partner, gourmet dash to shop our hummus! Free U.S. shipping on order $75 or more.
Moroccan Red Lentil Soup
by Javaneh Hemmat
Cooking is love made visible! I fridge foraged and with a few staple ingredients and I cooked this Moroccan Red Lentil Soup that will be on repeat all winter. Made with our Marrakech spice blend, the warmth of color and flavor is nourishing and satiating. I garnished it with chopped cilantro and a lemon squeeze and it took it to the next level.
- 1 A drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion; diced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic; finely minced
- 2-3 Carrots; diced
- 2-3 Celery Stalks; diced
- 1-2 Tablespoons Marrakech Spice Blend
- 1 Heaping Tablespoon of Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Red Lentils; washed and rinsed
- 4-5 Cups Water or Stock
- Sea Salt to taste
- 1/2 Bunch of Cilantro; chopped
- Garnish with lemon and chopped cilantro
- Place a stock pot over medium heat, warm extra virgin olive oil, sauté onions until fragrant, and add the garlic for a few minutes. Be mindful to not burn the garlic. Then, add celery and carrots and sauté until semi soft.
- Bloom Marrakech spice blend for 10 seconds and incorporate the tomato paste to caramelize for less than a minute. Add red lentils and water and/or stock.
- Season with salt and bring to boil then turn heat to low and softly simmer for 45 minutes until red lentils are completely soft. Add seasoning.
- Pour in your fave bowl, garnish with cilantro and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Caramelize tomato paste for less than a minute. This is a delicate process so make sure to be present and be ready to add fluids, otherwise; it will give off a bitter taste.