Please visit our partner, gourmet dash to shop our hummus! Free U.S. shipping on order $75 or more.
Aromatic Basmati Rice with Tadig
by Javaneh Hemmat
Fluffy aromatic basmati Persian rice with crunchy tadig is a sacred recipe that is enjoyed on a weeknight family dinner and ceremonious on many special occasions. Intention, mindfulness, and time are elements to make a perfectly golden and crispy tadig. As a curious recipe developer, I'm always looking for ways to transform traditional recipes into modern concept so everyone can easily cook and enjoy. This is the only recipe that makes me gasp every time I flip the tadig, Hope it wows you too!
- 1 Small yellow onion; diced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of ghee
- 1-2 Cloves of garlic; minced
- 1 Tablespoon Shiraz spice blend
- 1 1/2 Cups of basmati rice; washed and rinsed
- 2 1/4 Cups filtered water
- 1 Tablespoon of salt
- Optional: 2 Tablespoons of bloomed saffron
- Optional topping: A handful of barberries and cashews, and a dash of sugar
- Optional garnish: 2 Tablespoons of parsley; chopped
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt ghee, and saute onion and garlic. Add Shiraz spice blend and bloom for 10 seconds.
- Gently add rinsed basmati rice, incorporate with the onion and spice mixture, sprinkle salt, pour in water, and saffron.
- Cover with lid and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, add 1/2 Tablespoon of ghee to a skillet, saute barberries, cashews, and sugar for a couple of minutes.
- Open saucepan lid, secure a serving plate on the pan and flip in one motion to server the rice and tadig together.
- If you wish, you cam gently separate the tadig from the rice and rice with barberries, cashews, and garnish with parsley.
- You can find barberries in Middle Eastern stores.
- To bloom saffron, add a couple of ice cubes to a glass and add crushed saffron for 20-30 minutes